Saturday, May 21, 2011

Adventures In Foot Binding!

Chinese foot binding was a horrible, monstrous practice which I do not applaud or condone! It offends my feminist sensibilities and thank heaven it was stopped.




Still, the thought of those tiny feet propped up on a pillow all comfy gives me a teeny, guilty thrill.


It also inspired me. Obviously I couldn't and wouldn't want to do anything like that to my own feet. But I began to wonder how it would change the appearance of my foot if I folded my own toes and taped them up. I decided to try it for the second time yesterday.

Since it is my second time doing this, I already knew how important it was to have the crutches at the ready. Once your toes are folded under your foot, it's not impossible but it is quite painful to walk without them.





I start by putting on an old sock. Unless you like duct tape against your bare skin, I'd recommend it.

Yes, at one point in my life I did own a pair of purple socks. I think perhaps the dryer did me a service when it lost one of them.




I find duct tape works well and gives the tightest bind and I use an Ace bandage to give it an "injured" look.

No, this photo isn't posted upside down. I actually had the bandage placed like that when I snapped the pic.




I start with a few front to back pieces of tape. I find if you place one then wait a few minutes for the tendons to stretch, you can pull the toes down more with the next tape.
The one drawback to socks is you lose some of the pull because socks slip as you can see at my heel.






 Then I wrap around the rest of the foot in regular bandage/cast fashion.

Looks very shiny and S&M if you ask me but that's not my taste.



Here's a size comparrison.




I cover mine up with an Ace bandage because I like the bandaged, injured, casted look best.



I admit I like the look of an elevated leg all propped up on pillows but honestly, smashing tortured toes into the hard ground is just uncomfortable.



I was able to leave it on for about 2 1/2 hours before I had to take it off. I regret that I didn't get any shots of me crutching with it but I have the materials and the purple sock so I'm sure I'll do it again.

Until the next adventure, my liberated toes wave goodbye to you!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to see you with BOTH of your feet bound and propped up at the same time !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is incredibly hot. Im a male and do the same i love the feeling !

    ReplyDelete